Published: 12:00 GMT Standard Time - Wednesday 02 March 2011
Operation Nehemiah: News and Prayer Update #14
Country/Region: United Kingdom, Europe, United States
Government silence in halal labelling call
Operation Nehemiah has stepped up its call for proper labelling of halal products and the right to choose non-halal alternatives after an unsatisfactory response from the government.
Man attacked for teaching RE to Muslims
Four Muslim men have admitted brutally attacking a London teacher for teaching Muslim school girls about other religions.
Christians urge Gove to include RE in English Baccalaureate
A campaign has been launched after the government controversially omitted RE from the plan for the new English Baccalaureate.
"Olympic" mega-mosque in public inquiry
A planning inquiry in east London heard last week how a "supremacist movement" that encourages isolation from wider British society is fighting to keep its London mosque site.
News in brief
Extremist cleric to lead White House protest calling for Muslims to "rise up and establish Islamic state in America"
British extremist Anjem Choudary - who once said "the flag of Islam will fly over the White House" - has announced that he will lead a demonstration calling on Muslims to establish sharia law across America.
The rally, organised by the Islamic Thinkers Society of New York, is to take place outside the White House on Thursday 3 March. Mr Choudary, the former leader of banned group Islam4UK, said, "We expect thousands to come out and support us." Two other British extremists, Abu Izzadeen and Sayful Islam, have also been asked to speak at the demonstration.
Read full Daily Mail article
Nandos opens halal restaurant in Manchester
Nandos has this week opened a halal restaurant at Manchester Fort Shopping centre.
Store manager Jonathan Mazfari said that the restaurant was already proving popular with customers. He said, "It's been amazing; we haven't stopped since we opened our doors this week and have had lots of positive comments from the customers, particularly as we are halal."
Operation Nehemiah can confirm that Nandos halal restaurants sell only halal meat. However, Nandos says that some of its restaurants are not halal. To check whether a specific Nandos outlet is halal or not, go to http://www.nandos.co.uk/afdsearch/AFD/Search_for_your_Nando's.html.
Read full Manchester Evening News article
Christian Easter Egg cracks Britain's retail market
A church backed campaign has succeeded in convincing retailers to stock The Real Easter Egg, the UK's first and only Fairtrade charity egg to mention Jesus on the box.
Morrison's, Waitrose, Co-op and Booths are all to stock a limited "trial-listing" of the Real Easter Egg and sell it in their biggest stores. Supermarkets initially turned down the Egg, unsure if there was a place for a charity-faith egg in their Easter range.
The Bishop of Manchester said, "It is great news that for the first time people will have the chance of buying an Easter egg from a shop that explains the significance of the festival on the box."
To read more about Real Easter Egg and how to purchase go to www.realeasteregg.co.uk
- Pray that the government will respond positively to our calls to prevent halal being served across Britain without consumers' knowledge. Pray that we will soon see halal clearly labelled and that non-Muslims will have a clear choice.
- Pray that RE will be included in the English Baccalaureate and that Christianity will not be prevented from being taught in our schools. Pray that the government will make decisions that do not further advance the secularisation of Britain.
- The religiously-motivated attack on a teacher in London was an isolated incident, but pray that teachers in our schools will be encouraged to do their job without fear of offending those of other faiths.
- Everyone has a right to worship, but pray that the "mega-mosque" - a deliberate statement of Islamic supremacy - planned by an extremist sect in London, will not go ahead. Pray that God will strengthen His Church in this part of London.
- Pray that the introduction of the "Real Easter Egg" will be a clear and effective witness for the true meaning of Easter.
Our magazine - Barnabas aid
- 1Operation Nehemiah: News and Prayer Update #6 - 4 years ago
- 2Operation Nehemiah: News and Prayer Update #6 - 4 years ago
- 3Operation Nehemiah: News and Prayer Update #6 - 4 years ago
- 4Operation Nehemiah: News and Prayer Update #8 - 4 years ago
- 5Operation Nehemiah: News and Prayer Update #8 - 4 years ago
- 6Operation Nehemiah: News and Prayer Update #8 - 4 years ago
- 7Barnabas weekly newsletter 07 January 2011 - 4 years ago
- 8Barnabas weekly newsletter 07 January 2011 - 4 years ago
- 9Barnabas weekly newsletter 07 January 2011 - 4 years ago
- 10Operation Nehemiah: News and Prayer Update #9 - 4 years ago